Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Placencia

I arrived in Placencia on Thursday afternoon and checked into Lydia's Guest House.After dropping off my stuff, I took a nice stroll down the sidewalk to check out the town.
On Friday, I took a day trip from Placencia to Laughing Bird Caye. The coral was fairly dead from the hurricane a few years earlier, but the water was nice and warm, and there were some pretty fish, along with lobsters and sea cucumbers.The coolest part was swimming past the sharks that were circling the caye.
I met several fun people on this tour, and over the next couple of days joined a few of them for lunch or dinner.Placencia was a relaxing and laid back town. Other than the snorkel tour, I spent most of my time hanging out at the beach, talking to locals, or swaying in the hammock at Lydia's, reading a book and relaxing. On Saturday, I was hanging out on the beach and a few Mayan boys from the Toledo district were selling bracelets.

Somehow, Noe, Victor, and Doniscio ended up doing math problems with me and hamming for the camera. It was a lot of fun!



The Placencia beach was gorgeous at sunrise. On most days, the water was fairly calm, but not good for snorkeling. On Monday, it was windy and the water was a bit choppy. It made an interesting day. An older local lady (about 70 yrs old) saw me splashing in the water and asked if she could join me. She was afraid to go into the water alone, so I told her sure. Because of the wind and waves, I needed to help her get out too.

Walking around town, especially on the paths that lead from the sidewalk to the main road or from the road to the lagoon, there were quite a few iguanas, flowers, and insects.


All that walking caused me to work up quite a large appetite. Today's special looks good!! :-P

Actually, most of the restaurants were quite good - fresh seafood or chicken was the norm.

No comments: