Saturday, March 31, 2007

St. Louis - Arches and Historic Buildings

No trip to St. Louis is complete without viewing the Gateway Arch. The arch and Mississippi Riverfront park were just across the freeway from my hotel. While my room wasn't perfectly aligned to the arch (I could only see half of it from my hotel room) there were spectacular views from the hotel bar.

Before the rain moved in, I was able to spend a couple hours at the end of the day relaxing at the park and under the arch. I thought about taking the tram to the top, but the scheduling didn't work. Also, it was easier to view the St. Louis skyline from the rotating restaurant/bar at the top of the Millennium hotel.

Under the arch is the Museum of Westward Expansion. There is a fairly large Lewis and Clark display in this museum. The obligatory gift shop is also under the arch.

A series of bridges crossed the Mississippi River to the Illinois side. There were many other tourist attractions near the arch - riverboat cruises and horse drawn carriages.

Near the southwest edge of the riverfront park is the Old Historic Cathedral.

To the west of the arch is the Historic Courthouse, which was built in 1828 and was the site of the early Dred Scott hearings.

3 comments:

Iggy said...

Hi, came across your blog looking for nice restaurants in St. Louis. Will be there all weekend for a wedding... What hotel did you stay at? Last time I was there I stayed at the Residence Inn downtown (http://www.reservediscountrooms.com/st-louis-mo/residence-inn-st-louis-downtwn.html) Had a pretty good view of the Arch, and the room was clean and, best of all, fairly cheap... Where are the damn hidden secrets as far as restaurants in St. Louis???

Lacey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lacey said...

Thanks for visiting. I stayed at the Millennium. I can't help you with good restaurants. I wasn't particularly impressed with any of the places where I ate.