Sunday, July 25, 2010

Mingus Mountain, View Point Trail #106

This weekend, I headed to Mingus Mountain (between Prescott and Jerome, AZ) for another "training hike" My intent was to hike the Woodchute Trail, but I couldn't manage to find the trail head. Instead, I found the trail head for the View Point Trail #106. I had no idea how long the trail was or the level of difficulty, so I decided to hike 1.5 hours and then turn around if I didn't reach the end of the trail.
Right away the trail began a steep descent down the mountain through a series of switchbacks.




There were some spectacular views of the Verde Valley and surrounding mountains.

There were a few areas in which the trail was overgrown, and I was no longer positive that I was actually on the trail.
But then I would pick up the trail again - even if it meant climbing over fallen trees.
There were some spectacular vista views.
(Obligatory picture proving I was really there!!)
I learned something new - sunblock has an expiration date.
I learned something else - if you use sunblock that expired 2 years ago, you will get burned!!
This trail runs below the peak where hang gliders jump. On the way back, I nearly fell a couple of times because I got distracted watching the hang gliders.


I had the trail to myself nearly the entire time, except for at the very end. I was only about 100' from my starting point when I encountered a couple of riders on their horses.

No comments: