Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Foz do Iguaçu (Aug 2005)

My first afternoon, I arrived in the town of Foz do Iguacu, Brazil. I checked into the Hotel Rouver and dumped my stuff, then took a walk to explore the city. I was pretty worn out from traveling all day, so had an early dinner and then collapsed on the bed for the night. The next morning I woke bright and early, had breakfast, then caught a city bus to Iguacu Falls. Iguacu Falls consists of 275 falls, forming a gigantic semi-circle 2.5 km long, with millsions of gallons of thundering water plunging to depths 75m below. The falls are located at the border of Brazil, Argentina, and Paraguay, and bring together the Iguassu and Parana rivers.
On the Brazilian side of the falls, the trails are mostly concrete (sidewalks) with wooden railings to prevent you from falling into the waters below. There are a few steps and some grade changes, but it is a nice leisurely stroll, unless you are part of a tour. Then they march you right along.
There were lots of birds along the trail, including this toco toucan. It didn't seem to shy around people either.

I brought Benigni along with me, so I had to take an obligatory picture of him. I tried to get the rainbow to look like it was going in the glass. The final picture didn't quite have the effect I was going for, because a toucan swooped down and tried to steal Benigni. I had to hang on for dear life. Benigni's stem was already damaged from a prior journey, and the toucan ended up damaging it further. I had all I could do to keep it in one piece and in my possession.

There were also quite a few butterflies in the area. Over 700 species have been identified in the park.
I also happened to catch this pair of mating grasshoppers "in the act".
But the real attraction was the falls.







The waters above the falls are deceptively tranquil.


Despite tons of signs warning not to feed the coatis, people did anyway. The restaurant had to hire people whose sole job it was to chase away the coaties. I almost lost half of my sandwich to one. I let go of it to take a drink and one of the sneaky devils almost snatched it off my table. After that I was more careful.
Don't let their cuteness fool you. One man had a sack of apples and they ran up and ripped open his sack and attacked the apples. Then they chased him looking for more.

I spent most of the day in the park, but left a little bit of time to visit the bird park that is just outside the main entrance to the falls. I'm glad I did, because seeing the birds here made it easier for me to identify wild birds throughout my trip.

No comments: