Saturday, September 23, 2006

Bank Robbery?

I went to the bank today to get cash for my trip to Ecuador. There were several 'unsavory' looking people in line, so I decided to write down the amounts of each denomination that I wanted, rather than being overheard talking to the bank teller. I found a piece of paper in my bag, and wrote down that information, then at the top of the page scrawled "Crisp Unmarked Bills!"

I then wrapped that piece of paper around my withdrawal slip, bank card, and driver's license. When I got to the window, I slid the whole thing under the glass, oblivious that the only thing he could see was
Crisp Unmarked Bills!

It took me a split second to realize why he had a look of panic on his face and then I quickly corrected the looming problem by telling him to unfold the paper - that my ID and withdrawal slip were inside. He chuckled and told me that "unmarked bills" is a term that I should avoid during future trips to the bank. D'uh!

That problem solved, the teller tried to fulfill my request of a specific number of each denomination that was crisp, clean, and free of any tears or extraneous markings. He had to dig through several tellers' drawers in order to find enough bills that fit the order. Finally he got everything I needed, and as he was handing me the money, he commented that it probably would have been easier if I had held him up!

*The official currency of Ecuador is the US dollar. I read on several tourist information sites and guide books that it is best to carry small bills, and that it is hard to get people to accept the bills if they are torn, dirty, worn out, or have writing on them. Hence my desire to have small unmarked bills.

No comments: