Sunday, October 29, 2006

Day 1 in Quito


The flight to Quito went without problems and I arrived at my hotel about 20 minutes to midnight last night. The room was pretty much as described on La Casa Sol's website, but instead of getting a single, I was put in a loft room. Luckily, there was also a bed on the ground level, so I took that.




I woke up this morning with a bit of a headache, which might be because of the altitude of Quito, or it might be just travel fatigue. After a breakfast of fruit and bread, I caught a taxi to the historic center of Quito. There was some spectacular gothic and colonial architecture. I really wasn't in much of a sightseeing mood, and many of the buildings were too close together to get a good photo, unless I took a close up of just a tiny part of the structure.

I was sitting on a bench in the central plaza when a good looking Ecuadorian man sat next to me. His english was as bad as my spanish, so we really couldn't say anything to each other.

I probably should have tried to learn a bit more spanish before coming here. Trying to communicate around town today was a challenge. With the small amount of Portuguese that I can speak, I could kind of understand what people said to me, but they had no idea what I was trying to say back to them.

Around 3pm, I headed back to my hotel for a siesta.

I'm starting to get a little concerned. I was supposed to get my airline tickets and cruise voucher delivered to my hotel today, but as of 6pm, it still hadn't come. Maybe they plan to deliver it after their office closes for the day. I am trying not to get stressed over it. Maybe I just need a beer.

Actually, a beer and dinner sounds pretty good to me right now. My Galapagos flight leaves at half past seven tomorrow morning so I will probably go to sleep early.

No comments: