Monday, June 11, 2007

Grand Teton National Park (June 10)

Since it was only about 8 am when I entered the northern boundary of the Tetons, I had 6 hours before I needed to be at the Jackson airport for my flight. It was a beautiful day out, and right away spotted a colony of prarie dogs.
Wild flowers

Jackson Lake
Leeks Marina near Colter Bay
By Willow Flats, I saw a bunch of cars pulled over along the road. I stopped and got out and looked. There was a big group of grizzley bears!

I watched the bears for about a half hour before they wandered out of view. After most of the cars pulled back on the road, I headed up the road a little ways. I saw a forest service road, that looked like it went the same way the bears went. I pulled onto the road and slowly followed it for about a mile.
I was rewarded with this site of mama bear and her cub.
They walked out of site again. I waited about 10 minutes then continued up the road, to find the cub playing in the wild flowers.
Once back on the main road, I decided to take the outer road through the park.

I stopped at Oxbow Bend to take pictures. I loved the way the trees reflected in this lake.

Look at all the gnats flying around these flowers.
Chipmunk
I loved the reflection of the mountain in the lake.
I found another forest service road, and got off the main road again.
I spotted a beaver's dam.

And reached the top of a hill. When I went to turn around, I saw this brown bear.


wild flowers
Antelope flats was appropriately named.



Last view of the Tetons as I headed back to Jackson.
I stopped at a park with a pond, located on the outskirts of Jackson.


After about an hour, I returned to the airport for my flight home.

1 comment:

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

Very beautiful!! We are going to favorite your blog!
--JB's mom (and JB)