Monday, June 11, 2007

Yellowstone (part 2)

Just past Madison, I made a quick stop at Gibbon Falls.
About two miles past the falls, I saw a male Elk in a clearing.

I found a safe place to park and walked back to take a picture.


It was already noon when I reached the junction to take the upper loop. I decided that I was enjoying my slow pace, and to just see the lower loop during this trip. I made the turn to the lower look, and almost immediately was surrounded by bison in the road. I couldn't get a good picture though.


A bit further along, I pulled off onto the Virginia Cascade Road. There was a nice picnic area, and a herd a bison were grazing right behind it.




After taking a quick picture of Virginia Cascade, I headed to Canyon Village for some lunch. After lunch, I drove to several of the overlooks for the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. The lighting was really weird. This picture almost looks like a painting, rather than a photo.
From the canyon, I got this view of the falls.
and a great close-up of a big-horned sheep.
By late afternoon, I was at Fishing Bridge. There were lots of white pelicans in this area.
I drove east of Fishing Bridge, and saw a group of people clustered near Mary Bay. I got out and saw this fox.
While they were still taking pictures, I continued towards Sedge Bay. I actually pulled over to turn around, but saw this coyote only a few feet from the road.


I made a stop at Yellowstone Lake as the sun was starting to go down. I didn't want to drive in the dark, so I headed back to Grant Village. I arrived just as the last bit of light left the sky. After a quick dinner, it was back to my room for sleep.


I woke up early the next morning, and headed south out of the park back to Jackson.


On the way I spotted this deer.



I make a quick stop at Lewis Falls.

And saw this marmot (and a bunch of his quicker friends) near Moose Falls. I then left Yellowstone and headed back to the Grand Tetons.

No comments: