Saturday, August 02, 2008

Sticky and icky!

I just returned from a business trip to Arlington VA. I spent two nights at the Doubletree Crystal City hotel. In general, the hotel was ok, as long as you didn't eat in their restaurants (bad service and mediocre food).

My room was functional, but left a lot to be desired. When I walked into my room, I nearly gagged. There was a smell that was a combination of stale smoke (this was a non-smoking room), mildew, and sewage. Yummy! When I asked to change rooms, I was told that the hotel was completely full and no other rooms were available. I sprayed the room with Febreze and cranked up the a/c hoping to get rid of the smell. It was only about 10% effective.

The a/c worked great, but sounded like a jet was taking off. It was so loud I couldn't hear the tv or talk on the phone while it was on. I ended up turning it off while I slept.

Though not a problem, I was a bit baffled as to why many of the outlets were crooked. Below is a picture of the bathroom wall, with very crooked light switches. Just to the left of the outlets, you can see lovely brown spackle on the wall. There were also various stains on some of the towels and the bathroom counter. Other than that, it looked like the bathroom had at least been cleaned, and all the plumbing worked well (other than the shower head placed way too low).

The light switch and outlet on the wall next to my bed were also installed at odd angles. In addition, there was a large area that looked as though a picture used to hang there. The hardware was still on the wall.
But the real pièce de résistance of the room was the sticky wall! Yes, sticky! In order to not be too grossed out, I decided that a spray adhesive was applied to the wall behind the (missing) picture to keep it from moving if bumped. Since there was no longer a picture, I was left with a big sticky spot.
After getting over the initial gross out factor, I invented a fun game to see what would stick to the wall and for how long.

The wall was sticky enough to hold a Kleenex forever (or at least until I got bored and removed it).

A piece of note paper only stuck for about 30 seconds.
A washcloth only stuck for about 15 seconds.
A hand towel was too heavy and wouldn't stick at all.
A pen didn't have enough surface area to stick.

No comments: