Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Batu Puteh - Cultural day and home stay

I arrived in the village of Batu Puteh for a day of culture and to spend the night with one of the villagers and their family. I didn't take a picture of the home where I stayed, but it looked quite similar to these.



While in the village, I played with a bunch of kids, plus played volleyball with older kids and some younger adults. It was quite fun.
I also got a cooking lesson on how to make my favorite dessert - Puteri Mandi cakes (they were out of the usual green food coloring, so we made them pink instead).




I'm glad I made a bunch of them - because then I could eat a bunch of them!


After the cooking lesson, local residents put on a cultural show and introduced me to various songs and traditional dances.


They even let me play the gongs! Bang that gong! :-)
I also got to visit caves that contain coffins - both the middle cave and the high cave, Agop Sawat.

Naturally, getting there meant climbing more stairs - just when my legs had finally recovered from Mt. Kinabalu!
Spider on coffin
There were lots of bats in the cave.
Coffins were decorated with the heads of different animals.

No comments: