Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Mesilau Trail

After breakfast, we started the Mesilau Trail to cloudy skies but not rain. The trail started with a steady climb up wood ladders, steps, and large rocks. Because of yesterday's rain, the trail was slippery and muddy in spots.
The German couple and I kept a similar pace, but our guide Neils seemed to be nursing a hangover and quickly disappeared behind us.

After climbing about 1.5 km, the trail descended again. The Germans pulled ahead of me, but having learned my lesson about rushing my pace downhill, I took my time. I eventually caught up to them when the trail started ascending again.


Along the way, we passed several waterfalls, crossed several swing bridges, and climbed and climbed. The trail was very scenic - mostly plants.


Other than a few birds and squirrels, there really wasn't any wildlife to see.
Around Km 4, it started to mist and then rain.


It rained hard for the next hour, and then we were back in just fog. By this time, the elevation was high enough that the plants changed to evergreen trees with moss hanging from them.

About 1 km from reaching the junction with the Timpohon Trail, I finally spotted pitcher plants!
Shortly after reaching the much less scenic Timpohon Trail, the mist started, and then the rain.
Rivers of water started running over the bare rock, making it slippery. About 1 km after the junction, we caught up with the group that took the shorter Timpohan Trail, and then passed them as they huddled under a shelter, trying to stay dry.
We resigned to the fact that staying dry wasn't an option, and forged forward, up and up and up.
It continued to rain the rest of the way to the Laban Rata Guest House. Once there, I changed into dry clothes, and paid to have my shoes put in a dryer - so hopefully they won't be wet in a few hours when I approach the summit.

Unfortunately, because of a generator problem, there was no heat or hot water. After dinner, I stole the blankets from the unused bunks in my room and hunkered down for a few hours of sleep. I was just falling into a deep sleep when 2:30 arrived - time to get up, eat a bit of breakfast, and tackle the rest of the mountain.

No comments: