Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Wild Man of Borneo

No trip to Borneo would be complete without a visit to the Sepilok Orangutan Sanctuary. Here the orangutans are "wild" but there are feeding platforms where they are fed 2x/day, so it creates a zoo-like feeling.
But, since this is really the only chance to see the orangutans in the "wild" I guess it will have to do.



There were other monkeys (macaques) at the sanctuary too. They also came out at feeding time, but were much bolder around people, chasing them off the boardwalks.
It was exciting and kind of scary at the same time.
I also took the trip outside of Sepilok to visit the Labuk Bay Proboscis Monkey Sanctuary. This seemed less "professional" although they had designated feeding stations too.

I actually enjoyed watching the proboscis monkeys more than the orangutans - but maybe that's because they didn't just eat then disappear again.





I also took a side trip to the Rainforest Discovery Center, which was within walking distance from the Sepilok B&B where I stayed.
There were catwalks throughout the canopy. I saw a few squirrels, some birds, but mostly plants.


No comments: